Friday, January 28, 2005

Obesity and kids

NY Assemblyman Felix Ortiz is proposing to include weight ranking of children on report cards sent home to parents. I wonder about the implications on eating disorder developments, as well as the fact that BMI score doesn't take into account the wide variety of body types and metabolisms. Also of note, Ortiz has put in bills to tax junk food. [Newsday, via Gothamist]

In September 2004, the NJ legislature voted to ban junk food in schools. [School Nutrition Policy, NYT, Motley Fool]

Food insecurity: diabetes, heart disease, and other obesity-related diseases are replacing homicide and AIDS as top killers of young people in impoverished urban areas. [NYT]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would anyone like a vacation certificate for FREE hotel rooms ($400 value)? You can choose from twenty fantastic resort locations.

I am trying to find people interested in maybe improving their noni juice. If you are interested in noni juice Please visit my website.

I am personally giving away FREE vacation certificates to ALL new customers. There is a 60 day money back guarantee on my product if you don't like it, but the vacation certificate for FREE hotel rooms is yours to keep. A $400 value!

I look forward to hearing about your awesome vacation, not to mention the improvement with your noni juice.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Web Lover said...

Wanted to say -I enjoyed your Blog! I found you had alot of interesting comments here and information regarding kid furniture
I have a website **Preschool Learning Online.com** Hopefully If you get a minute or 2 you will pop by and Check It Out! There is alot of great Free Information for Parents and Kids related to kid furniture and similar bits of information.

Thanks,

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, I had been out looking for some new information on kids obesity when I found your site and Obesity and kids. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home